What are some of the company’s major achievements?
- Transforming the Carnival landscape with ‘Kambule’, the play written by Eintou Springer. Kambule is now one of the largest Traditional Carnival events on the calendar
- Developing and successfully implementing in schools and communities our Carnival intervention methodology with creative inputs from the directors Eintou, Attillah and Dara
- Impacting the cultural/heritage tourism product of Trinidad & Tobago by developing an African-centred tour business, ‘African Legacy Tours of Trinidad and Tobago’. This was inspired by a book written Eintou Springer ‘African Heritage Sites of T&T’
- Introducing Street Theatre into the celebration of Emancipation through the performance of the play ‘Freedom Morning Come’ written by Eintou Springer
- Educating varied audiences through Theatre; inspiring young people through Theatre
What did the company do to help the growth and development of Drama in Trinidad?
- Energised and modernised the concept of Carnival as social intervention by giving a voice to traditional carnival characters such as Baby Doll, formerly regarded as a dying portrayal
- Empowered vulnerable communities/abused women and young girls through this methodology
- Inspired behaviour change amongst vulnerable youth by inculcating values such as discipline, focus, timeliness and respect for elders; helped to build their confidence to take on creative projects wihtout Idakeda
- Trained a cadre of performers (dancers, actors etc.) to implement these techniques in schools and communities
- Used drama to impact literacy
Encouraged national pride through the exploration of national themes, heroes/heroines and important issues through drama
Testimonials / Feedback